Sunday, September 9, 2012

Amadeus

Amadeus is one of my favorite movies, and I was so happy that we got to watch some scenes from it in class today. I've grown up listening to Mozart, and my parents even joked around that my name was going to be Wolfgang. They didn't know I was a girl, but they told my grandparents that the first Von Behren grandchild needed a strong German/Austrian name. But that's a whole other story. If you haven't seen Amadeus, please do! Here is my favorite scene. (Spoiler alert: This is from the end of the movie)


The Requiem Mass in D minor is one of my favorite pieces by Mozart. Though left unfinished, it is a composition that will bring you to tears if you really listen to the music. This scene is just amazing because it breaks down the music to give the audience a little perspective into the time and work it takes to compose. I won't to get into too much details with Salieri, so I don't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it. But when you watch it, you'll understand the meaning of Mozart's apology at the end of this clip.

One great thing about being a communication/art major at UT is that you will take a lot of classes that will introduce you to classic movies like this one. I really encourage all of you to watch them and research more important movies. It will help you understand a lot of references in pop culture that you may otherwise overlook. For example, this scene from Amadeus was parodied in 30 Rock. Is that show funny without knowing all the references, sure. But you get so much more out of it when you know what they're talking about. I wanted to post a link to that clip, but I can't find it. But if you want to watch it, it's in season two and the episode is called Succession. Seasons 1-5 are on Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment